Pages

Sunday, May 8, 2011

First "why do we" question of the Spring

Two nights ago, I was heading home from an orchestra rehearsal about 10pm and got the phone call that I was waiting to get,; or expecting to get now that the grass is out and the weather is warmer.

It was Paul...."why do we even have these horses anyway!". 

He was referring to the Arabians that are now kept in the day pasture to graze with no run-in.  This means, we move then back across to the night paddock at the barn each morning/evening. 

Well, that question was a hard one..he was irritated and I wasn't sure how to proceed.  So, I said..."uh-oh, what happened"   I thought a question answered with a question was best, although I don't think he was asking me.

"Your horse is a crazy nut-job"  was the answer I got.

Thinking to myself, she's really sensible, actually.  And a babysitter for itty bitty little kids. 

"oh, why?"  I replied

"She wouldn't come in, so I tied Nelly (his horse)....."   This is where I got nervous.  Nothing good ever comes of the phrase, 'I tied' when involving a horse at night, at feeding time, with the other horse jumpy and an inexperienced horse person.

"I couldn't catch your horse, so I got a lead rope and tied my horse to the post at the gate, then walked over to your horse to catch her.  I didn't want to walk them both with just halters and be between those crazy things." 

That was a smart move on his part....but just not the tying of Nelly, while Saphra is avoiding him.  She influences Nelly in a positive and negative way.

"I walked up to your horse, and she kept backing away.  Next thing, I hear a ruckus behind me and turned to see Nelly dragging the post and the fence all the way across the pasture.  I caught her and got her in the night paddock and your horse got loose and started running all over that a psycho!" 

Well, long story short.  The horses still live here and no one got hurt, just annoyed and frustrated.  They don't like to be separated when loose and can be a handful if you let them. He did manage to get them back where they go before help arrived...my good friend up the road was armed and ready as I was still an hour away.  The horses will now stay in the day pasture until I get there and we've decided and agreed they will be fine left without shelter.  They can, at least get up next to another barn and be fine with shade and a wind break. 

This morning we sunk a new post and put up some new boards and the horses are happy to be back in their green yummy pasture.   And, no, they are not psycho and crazy.  They are just horses and anyone who knows any horse can 'freak out' at any time under the right circumstances.  They really are good girls, easy keepers, and very 'broke', but they aren't dead.

No comments:

Post a Comment